Saturday 21 April 2012

An update

Alright, so I know it has been quite a while, but I have been BUSY!! Aside from completing my second teaching placement, I have been working hard on developing my Healthy Students Program. After a few hiccups, I have some HUGR news that I am eager to share!! Back to the beginning, a few weeks ago... After randomly eyeing the head of the Phys Ed department at my placement school in the staff room one day, I summoned up enough courage to approach him and set up a meeting to chat. I'm sure he was caught off guard, but he was super friendly about it! Our meeting was a bit of a blur; I was nervous as I heard he has quite a bit of clout within the Thames Valley District School Board. I definitely did not want this to go badly! After giving him an outline of my program, I contacted him after a couple of weeks to see what he thought, and if there was any possibility of giving it a go at his school. His answer: there definitely is!! So, I will be working with a grade 10 girls gym class, giving this program a test run, and gaining invaluable experience within the fitness-school realm. Well, this experience gave me the courage to approach another teacher, from another school...things were on the move! After sending a couple of e-mails to Phys Ed teachers from my first placement school, I now also have a grade 11 girls gym class to work with!! I could not be more excited and ecstatic! On top of these two schools, I will also be doing an after-school program with a First Nations elementary school...I am in a bit of shock at what this little idea a few months ago has spiraled into. My dream of creating a health and wellness program for students that treats them as whole people and not just academic minds is coming to fruition! I am so excited to see how this all plays out, and I will definitely provide the play-by-play! With all the ups and downs I've had these past few weeks, my own emotional and mental health has been put to the test, but keeping calm, staying hopeful, and persevering has ended in a result that could not be better! It is not always easy, but I try my best to "practice what I preach". It is an amazing feeling to have things work out for you, and I could not wait to share it. Write again soon! Take care of you! Kristine

No comments:

Post a Comment